Search This Blog

Monday, November 22, 2010

Flea market, swap meet, or trash and treasure?

I wonder how many of you are fans of flea markets. I know at least Maggie and I are, and plenty of our friends too! I love all sorts of flea markets, big or small. Or rather, in general, I just love the bazaars! Particularly the defunct 湘阳市场 (Xiang Yang Shi Chang) in Shanghai, China; Queen Vic Market in Melbourne, Australia and Paddy's Market in Sydney, Australia. Notice the markets listed above are not considered flea market.

In Singapore, it appears that we termed flea market quite loosely. For example, ask any good old Singapore where's the flea market/s, they are likely to point you to Sungei Road Thieves Market. These days, our flea markets do not sell anything old (and useless). I mean, look at Zouk's Flea and Easy, Clarke Quay Sunday Flea Market, the flea markets at Tanglin Mall, and so many others! Our flea markets are more like bazaars where you are likely to find the arty-farty and their crafts, the well-travelled and their junk, and perhaps the occasional participants with their pre-loved! There's just something about bazaars and the people there that makes it so colourful and oh-so-inviting!

So why exactly am I babbling about flea markets and all? A few posts earlier we mentioned about some flea market? It's coming your way!! 18th Dec 2010 falls on a Saturday and that happens to be the day!! Make a mark on your calendar!!!! More details coming right up. Meanwhile, I'm gonna be posting videos about my favourite bazaars. Any I should be sharing?

No comments:

Post a Comment