Search This Blog

Friday, October 15, 2010

The thing about travelling is....

Unstable Internet network, connection and inaccessibility and lack of computers/laptops/smart phones!

No seriously!!! I mean it! So, I've been in US for about 3 weeks now (yeah yeah, lucky me! i know that!). But during this time, I'm barely connected to the Internet because it's expensive for travellers like myself (USD 15 for 15 mins) and also, despite the availability of WiFi, the lack of laptops to connect to is another headache! Most WiFi in the hotels are not available to smart phone (yes I know! how ridiculous this is! Time to catch up!!). You know what...? As a result of my lack of connectivity or quite simply the instability of technology, I lost out on an opportunity regarding my future!! Yes you read this right! I've been victimised and caught in between all these! (I'm pretty upset about this, but I really shouldn't babble on.)

Lesson learnt, please please please always check on your emails and make sure connectivity is not a big issue for you! I may sound mammoth for saying is, but how much exactly can we depend on technology, Internet and connectivity!?

But I must say I'm not all that Luddite, I consider myself Neo-Luddite if it makes much sense to you. I'm quite interested in technology and all that gadgets to make my life simpler and better (whatever these two means!). However, I'm not obsessed! If something's cool and new, I generally try it and consider adopting it, e.g. Foursquare. But like most people I know, scalability is a big issue. I'll adopt whatever's new if I have most friends on it! Like the transition from Friendster (oh god how phenomenal it was at that point!) to Facebook!

Okay, I'm derailing from my point (I'm just really upset at how we have evolved but certain mechanisms and structures haven't).


The GOOD thing about travelling is...... of course the people and their culture (by using 'the' and 'their,' I may be segregating or dividing people but I don't mean it in that way of course!). The way people live their lives and how they dress! The swanky New Yorkers, the lavish and over-the-top Vegas party-goers, the glamourous LA insiders and the laid-back culture vultures in San Franc! All the chic-ness (is there such a word? Hmm.)!! I don't promise photos but I'll post some blogs or websites to illustrate my point! Check us out in a couple of days again! I promise to blog what I mean!

In actual fact, I think I miss USA for its people and diversity! Oh by the way, did I mention social network's such a huge thing there! It's amazing I tell you!

Anyhoo, XOXO for now! - Nicky.

P/s: This post was supposed to be in yesterday from San Franc airport (14 Oct) but of course technology fails me once again!

No comments:

Post a Comment